Saturday, February 1, 2014

The Work Ethic & Vegan Recipe of LMNO | The Kitchen Mix

The Work Ethic & Vegan Recipe of LMNO | The Kitchen Mix (repost)



lmno
TKM: How does food relate to the creation of your music?
LMNO: Music is like a potluck, I bring those conscious “healthy entrees” & side dishes that people are afraid to try because it’s labeled “vegan” & by the end of the night they’re asking me for the recipe.
TKM: Do you get down in the kitchen? How would you rate your skills?
LMNO: Yes, I like to cook… I don’t have any Michelin Stars though, I am grateful to be eating good for sure.
TKM: What prompted the switch to vegetarian/vegan? How long have you followed that diet?
LMNO: I first cut out pork (Big Up Sadat X) then red meat & turkey before I ever thought of being vegetarian. Chicken was the hardest to give up, I never ate fish so that was no problem. It hit me one day – I’m paying people I don’t know, that don’t know me, to kill these animals that I wouldn’t kill to begin with. So then all arrows pointed towards vegetarian/vegan food which is now about 13 years ago.
TKM: What types of foods are you trying to gravitate towards and what are you trying to avoid?
LMNO: Fresh food is the best! I’ve been staying away from GMO’s as much as possible, I am in the isles checking barcodes & reading labels.
TKM: That’s the way to do it. How about sharing one of those recipes that non-vegans usually enjoy. Something for our non-vegetarian readers.
LMNO:
Roasted olives & broccoli:
oven: 425
roast: 20 min.
6-10 garlic cloves
about a 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 1/2 lbs. broccoli (washed, drained & patted dry)
1 cup mixed unpitted olives
1/2 of a lemon
sea salt & cracked pepper to liking
TKM: What would you say are the biggest differences between food culture here in the U.S. and food culture in other countries?
LMNO: The biggest thing that sticks out to me is the portions but it also depends on where in the U.S… that’s hard to generalize.
TKM: Who would you say is the best chef in the Visionaries crew?
LMNO: Dannu gets down… Zen & Key do to, I don’t think I’ve ever seen 2MEX or Rhettmatic cook… We’ll have to have The Visionaries/Iron Chef episode one day to see.
TKM: If you could make a meal for anyone, who would it be? If you could have anyone make you a meal, who would it be?
LMNO: That would be cool to make the meal that made Anthony Bourdain vegan & it would be cool to eat a meal by Bryant Terry.
TKM: With all of your touring and traveling, what do you think are the best cities for food?
LMNO: Long Beach, CA. Los Angeles, Seattle, San Francisco, Chicago, Portland, Brooklyn, NY, and Austin, TX stand out to me.
TKM: Why is food important?
LMNO: Food fuels the mind, body & soul.
TKM: True or False: You are what you eat…
LMNO: True!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Krudas Cubensi-El Veganeo